We know we will be eating a lot for Thanksgiving so it is time to prepare ourselves for the additional weight gain. New Year’s is just around the corner and those of us that create New Year’s resolutions are not prepared yet, we still have more holiday meals to devour. But before we go too far with the holiday feasting, prepare yourself and make sure you make the right choice in what you eat. Therefore, when the time comes to shed that winter weight, there won’t be much to lose.
Dr. Wright’s Tip
The holidays are a hard time not to gain weight. Most of our family holiday gatherings involve eating. Below are some suggestions to try and keep from gaining those extra pounds around Thanksgiving.
1. If you know you are going to someone’s house for Thanksgiving dinner- make sure and eat something earlier in the day so that you will not be starving by the time you arrive at their house.
2. Drink plenty of water to help make you feel fuller so that you will not have the tendency to eat as much.
3. Go for smaller portions and also try turkey without the skin.
4. Eat slowly and stop when you are full.
5. If you are the one cooking dinner, try for side dishes that are not full of fat. A lot of recipes can be done with lower-fat or fat-free substitutions.
6. Last, but not least- start the day with some exercise to get your metabolism revved up!